Strawberry Cage Revamp…

Back in 2016 we set about making a wooden strawberry cage after a family of squirrels kept stealing all our strawberries! With the help of my husband we made a pretty good cage complete with two top opening lids.

For a number of years the strawberry cage provided us with basket fulls of yummy strawberries.

The cage has since become a bit overgrown and the plants weren’t producing as many strawberries. The cage was also starting to look a little sorry for itself.

Thanks to the current Coronavirus lockdown I decided to remove all the old strawberry plants and replace them with new ones. We had a look over the cage and one of the pieces of wood had started to rot quite badly, so we replaced the rotten piece and gave all the timber a good coat of paint.

Next we drew our attention to the mesh. The original mesh was thin chicken wire, which was really rusty and had come away from the sides of the cage in places. It took a good hour to remove the old wire mesh and remove every single staple. After a quick search online we settled on a roll of galvanised heavy duty wire mesh from Wilko costing £14. The mesh was easy to fit and was complete in a couple of hours.


We are calling this cage the Mk 1.5 due to changing that wire mesh we used. If we were to make another cage later on down the line we would have stapled the wire mesh right the way across the strips of wood before adding in the centre & end supports, so we didnt have to bend the mesh around the vertical pieces of timber.

Our new strawberry plants should be with us in the next of week and hopefully we will be picking some lovely red juicy strawberries later in the summer.

Growing with the girls…

I think there is nothing more important than teaching young children where fruit and vegetables comes from.


My 3 year old twin daughters Freya & Olivia both love helping out in the garden, whether it’s doing a bit of weeding or sowing seeds, they are always willing to lend a hand. Due to the tough times the world is currently going through in regards to the Coronavirus, the girls have been spending more and more time outside in the garden.

This week the girls have sown some Peppers & Carrot seeds kits, which we had free from Marks & Spencer food hall. The kits came complete with a biodegradable pot, soil tablet, seed mat and a handy pop out plant label so you don’t forget what’s been planted

The girls love to watch the soil tablet growing on size. The seed mat was super easy to sow and we didnt end up with loads of wasted seeds on the greenhouse floor for once. We popped the seeds into the heated propagator for a few days until they started to germinate.


It’s been a couple of days since the girls planted their seeds and they’ve already started to grow beautifully. I’ll make sure we keep everyone up to date on their progress with plenty of photos on Instagram and a blog update later on in the year.