Sweet Peas….

Last years sweet peas have got to have been the best so far, I was still picking bunches until late October.
 IMG_4886
This year I plan on growing enough to fill my house and everyone in the streets.
I started to sow a couple of varieties last week in deep root trainers. It’s the first time I’ve used them after reading lots of great reviews.
I’ll start some more off in paper pots this weekends. There’s so many varietys to chose from I’m spoilt for choice. 
The plan is to grow them up one side of the 4ft wide metal arch way which we hope to constructing in March. I bought a roll of thick wire mesh from the local company. If our calculations are correct we should be able to make two arches from one roll!
Happy sowing everyone.
Sweet Peas

Galvanised Trough…

I’ve been on the hunt for a galvanised trough for the garden after seeing the wonderful Lavender and Leeks using hers on the allotment. After spending a few months looking for one I stumbled across one on Preloved for the bargain price of £30! Grabbing my husband we went to collect it from a local farm. I couldn’t have been more happy with it. It’s 6ft by 1.5ft in perfect condition.

Picture

I’m not quite sure where to put in the garden, once it’s in place there’s no way we could move it once full of soil. I can’t wait to start growing some beautiful cut flowers in it!  Here’s to the summer.

Raised Beds…

We decided to install two raised beds in front of the greenhouse. We originally liked the idea to use re-claimed railway sleepers, but due to the cost we decided against it. We found some lovely new timber 6ft sleepers which my father in law cut and drilled them to size to make two 3ft by 6ft raised beds.

rasided bed

They look fantastic! We sourced some free well rotted horse manure from a local farm and spent Saturday morning filling 12 bags of poop. We over filled each bed with a mix of manure and soil which sank down after a couple of weeks. I was super eager to start planting something in the beds and settled for garlic.

rasied bed

The Big Move…

The first big job in the garden was to move the greenhouse from its currently position under a massive oak tree. My father in Law started to lay the concrete foundations in September 2014 ready for the greenhouse to be moved the following year.

Picture

Fast forward to March 2015, glass panels removed, cleaned and sorted away. To save money we reused the old brick foundations to increate the high of the greenhouse. Whilst at work my father-in-law kindly laid the bricks on top of the concrete base to give the greenhouse extra height.


Once this stage was complete we then fixed the greenhouse onto it new base and laid paving slabs inside. I sourced a second hand staging table from eBay and bought a potting bench and it was ready to use!

Last year was my first proper year of growing. We grow 10 tomato plants & a beautiful Butternut Squash and not forgetting the super sweet strawberry plants which the squirrel tried to steal!  I did plan on growing Melons but I forgot to water the seedling!

The plans for this year it to lay paving slabs around the greenhouse and create a path leading to the greenhouse. Two raised beds either side of the greenhouse and a metal arch in front of the beds.

I can’t wait for the warmer weather to get outside and get my hands dirty.